Monday, May 31, 2010

Waterfalls at David's Canyon



After spending quite a bit of time in En-Gedi, just off the coast of the Dead Sea, our group headed over to David's Canyon. This was a spot in the Judean Wilderness where David spent a lot of time. This is a picture I took of the group, as Dr. Steve read to us many of the Psalms. Dr. Steve was telling us that the Judean Wilderness, unlike the Great Wilderness, was a place of refuge. For shepherds, and those who truly know the land, even though the desert is dry and hot, it is a refuge for them because they know how to access water. So in David's Canyon, we traveled alongside streams and walked by waterfalls.

I also found it quite interesting that when David asked God to "lead him to a rock that is higher than I" (I'm sorry I cannot site the specific Scripture reference for you, my roommate Emily is fast asleep next to me and I don't want to wake her up looking for my Bible) he was not looking for a rock to stand upon. Rather, he was looking for a rock that was larger than him in order to find shade in the midst of the scorching desert heat. This dramatically changed the way I read some of the Psalms. The land truly causes Scripture to come even more alive. Below are some pictures from this site.







No comments:

Post a Comment