Monday, May 31, 2010

And more...



So this was pretty funny. Our group had just finished our camel ride (which I showed you a picture of below...and for all of you wondering, the guy I am sitting with is like my little brother--he is a FRIEND) at the Bedouin Dude Ranch. After our ride, we all lounged in the Bedouin tent and drank tea, ate pitas, and sang songs. This is a picture of my friends singing and dancing with the Bedouin who was teaching us about their culture. One of the best experiences I have had on this trip. There is nothing like sleeping in a giant open tent in the middle of the desert.



Behind me is the southern end of the Dead Sea. Later on that day we swam in it and of course I worked really hard at keeping the salt from entering my mouth and eyes. Yet, somehow a tiny drop of water seeped its way into the corner of my eye and I experienced much pain. I decided it wasn't worth freaking out about so I just chilled, laid back, and bobbed in the water like a beach ball (there is such a high concentration of salt in the Dead Sea that you float--it was pretty neat). Anyway, this picture was taken just before hiking to the top of Masada- a fortress built by the Hasmoneans (specifically the High Priest Jonathan). Eventually the fortress was taken over by Herod the Great who used it as a place of refuge in the Judean Wilderness. Who was he seeking refuge from? His enemies of course... the Jews. Around 66 A.D. the Sicarii (men of the dagger- a radical religious group) who were a part of the Jewish Revolt, took over Masada. However, not too long after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., Masada was again conquered and this time by the Romans. There were many Jews who committed suicide (or so the historians say) at Masada instead of surrendering to Rome. Below are more pictures from this site.





No comments:

Post a Comment