Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Snapshots of My Time in The Old City

Monday, May 17, 2008 (a little late, sorry)

Today we had orientation at Jerusalem College University. Since we flew in to Amman, Jordan first, our orientation had to wait until we arrived in Jerusalem. Cindy, a professor at the university, lead our orientation. Something she said about this three week study tour really deserves mentioning in this blog. Cindy said that the way in which information is received during this tour is a lot like attempting to take a drink of water from a fire hose... aka, "information overload." So, my dear blog reader, picture that analogy and apply it to my time here- it will help you understand what it feels like.

Yet, my silent prayer has been that I would hear and see Jesus in the midst of this intense trip. I must be honest and say that there are so many distractions in Jerusalem. Whether it be the atmosphere of the marketplace, the Muslim call to prayer that echoes throughout the city five times a day, the Orthodox Christians bustling through the Via Dolorosa, or the Israeli soldiers walking through the streets- there is always something or someone that grabs my attention.

Sunday (yesterday) was our first "free day." After staying up way too late with some new friends, I still decided to wake up early to go to Mass at the Holy Sepulcher just down the street from our hotel. A group of us walked down the stone road (St. Francis Street) as the church bells rang throughout the narrow roads.

The Holy Sepulcher is like the “Disneyland” of Catholic churches. A Mass is going on while tourists are surrounding the place taking pictures left and right. It was one of the most heart-renching experiences I have had yet. I watched as a young mother knelt over a Catholic prayer book with a candle lit next to it earnestly saying her liturgical prayers out loud. How close she is to religiosity, but so far away from true freedom. Tears flooded my eyes as I observed her desperation for hope and eternal life. Meanwhile, her little girl lay sprawled out on the stone bench behind her mom. I thought to myself, “Where is her husband? Where is this child’s father?” I only wish I knew her story, but my Father does. I silently prayed that and hoped that the Holy Spirit would reveal Jesus to this young, pious, mom and her little child. He is faithful.

Later on that day, my friend John and I went walking through the Old City and we stopped at a shop owned by a young Arabic Muslim, Qusay. Qusay invited us in for tea and sage (delicious!) He had already been interacting with some of the other students on our study tour—I think he really enjoys practicing his English with us (which is very good, by the way) and sharing with us his political and religious views.

It was almost too much to handle, sitting with him as we communed together. I can’t explain the connection I felt to this 22-year-old with so much life experience tucked under his belt. Qusay speaks 6 different languages, runs his own shop, trains horses, and is the youngest of a family of 10 (or more, I can’t remember). His father just passed away 9 months ago at the age of 84. He is the last to live at home, all of his older siblings are married.

During our visit with Qusay, John and I met Qusay’s nephew who is 26-years-old (older than him!) Qusay is called the “cool one” by those who know him… and everyone in the Arab community knows him as we quickly have found out. He just spent a year in Vancouver, Canada and was there during the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Qusay asked John and I if we thought there would ever be peace between the Arabs and the Jews. John answered for us by saying that he hopes so…that at least there could be a compromise. Qusay respectfully shared with us his opinion by blatantly saying that there could never be peace between them. He is convinced that the land never belonged to the Jews, which comes from his Muslim understanding of the Koran. He then proceeded to discuss with us the differing views of the jews and Muslims, and what life is like in Israel for Qusay as a Palestinian Muslim.

The tears came as Qusay shared with us how he has been blatantly asked my tourists, “Why do you Arabs blow yourselves up?” How ignorant and rude people can be! We can be so abrasive and insensitive to that which we do not understand. Qusay’s character revealed itself as he communicated to us how he handles situations such as these. I saw his humanity, his honesty in that moment. He just wants to be understood and respected…listened to. That’s all. I felt this was our time to give him that attention.

It was really neat when Qusay began to share with us how many Christians convert to Islam. God gave me an opportunity to share how I also have heard of Muslims convert but to Christianity. I told him of stories of Muslims having visions of a man dressed in white revealing Himself to them (that man being Jesus of course.) He did not entertain this information, but began to discuss how Islam, Christianity, and Judaism are the only three real religions. This statement led into a discussion about marriage and how he can marry a Christian or a Jew because their religion is “real,” but that the woman would have to convert to Islam. Man, I learned a lot today.

I do not know if I will have the opportunity to share the Gospel with him, but I do know that God has led our group to Qusay. So, if you are reading this, pray with me that he would be one of these Muslim people that I have heard of who have been interrupted by the Lord Jesus. As I write this entry it is Tuesday night…so, I had tea with Qusay back on Sunday. Tonight, when I was in the Old City again, I ran into him. He showed my friend Aaron and I a great shop to eat schwarma (this is Aaron’s favorite food here—it is pita bread stuffed with hummus, chicken or lamb, and French fries…tons of carbs, but really good). God is definitely keeping the door wide open to a friendship with this dude. Pretty awesome.

I must go to bed for now, Bethlehem in the morning!! I am going to attempt to upload some pictures soon. So for those of you who are following—stay tuned!

1 comment: