Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Dome of the Rock and the Western Wall




Thursday, May 20, 2010

This picture was taken a few hours ago on our NT Jerusalem walk around the Old City. Behind me is both the Dome of the Rock to my right (your left) and the Western Wall (or Wailing Wall) is to my left (your right). The Dome of the Rock lies in the heart of where the second temple used to stand. It is a Muslim Mosque. The Western Wall is the remainder of the retaining wall that surrounded both the first and the second temples. Jews still go to this wall to pray and worship because they believe that God's presence still dwells at the wall. In fact, this past Tuesday and Wednesday was the Jewish festival Shavout, and the Western Wall was packed with Jews celebrating.

No one besides practicing Muslims are permitted to enter the Dome of the Rock or the El Aksa, which is another mosque to the left of the Dome of the Rock. El Aksa was built in the year 690 and the Dome of the Rock in 710. El Aksa is said to be the place where Muhammed (Allah's prophet) met with the men of old (such as Jesus himself) and here Allah gave him a word that supersedes all other religions.

However...due to the fact that a few of us have befriended Qusay, we may be going to the Dome of the Rock this upcoming Saturday. I just saw Qusay earlier tonight, and he informed me that I need to have my hair wrapped. If this trip takes place, I'll be sure to blog about it!

I have much more to say...but for now, I am studying and going to bed. Miss you all.

2 comments:

  1. What a great picture!! Your group is in my prayers and especially for your ineractions with your new friend... Love ya, Ally! I hope you get your robe back--haha... Oh and your phone ;)

    ReplyDelete